Monday, September 17, 2012

Hurry Up Black Bean Soup

This is a "SOUP"ER (yes I'm that cheesy) easy and DELICIOUS Soup.  I tried this recipe out last week and it was a big hit, even with the kids, so it's definitely a keeper.  I found this recipe here, and then made some minor alterations.  Here is what I did:

Ingredients
 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon of paprika 
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 can tomato sauce
Approximately 1 Tbs. of orange juice
 4 15-ounce cans black beans, drained (I cooked 1lb of dried black beans and used about half to 3/4 of what I cooked)
3 cups chicken broth
salt
Plain Yogurt
Avocados (diced)
Frito Chips



Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a soup pot and sauté the onion over medium heat until it's translucent, around 5 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and the spices and sauté another half a minute, until the pot is fragrant, then add the tomato sauce and orange juice and bring to a simmer.
  3. Add the beans and broth or water, along with salt to taste, and bring back to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
  4. Use a potato masher or hand blender to puree some of the soup, then taste for salt and add more broth or water if the soup is too thick.
  5. When served, add on top, a dollop of plain yogurt, some diced avocados, and Frito chips sprinkled on top.
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. This soup is delicious! All three kids loved it and two went back for seconds! The only change I made to your recipe, was I added a little lime when I added the orange juice. I wasn’t sure what size can of tomato sauce you used, I had a 15oz can and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete